Fundraise for the Movement
Are you passionate about the movement to change the conversation about infertility? Do you want to do something that will have a BIG impact on RESOLVE’s ability to improve the lives of women and men with infertility? Did you realize RESOLVE is a non-profit, charitable organization?
It does not matter if you are an experienced fundraiser or this is your first attempt, you can make a difference by planning a fundraiser – big or small. Your efforts will raise needed funds for RESOLVE programs, call attention to the disease of infertility to new audiences, and inspire others to join the movement. We understand that infertility is a serious subject, but you can have fun with your efforts. Here are some ideas and tips to help you make the most of your experience.
Hold a Fundraising Event
- Host a Dinner Party: Invite those who have helped you during your infertility journey over for dinner to say “Thank You”. Let them know you’ve made a donation to RESOLVE in their name and ask them to match your gift.
- Birthday/House-Warming/Wedding/Retirement Gifts: In lieu of a gift for a special occasion, ask your friends and family to make a donation to RESOLVE. RESOLVE can provide you with special thank you cards.
- Benefit night at a local restaurant: Check in with your favorite local hangouts. Many restaurants already have programs in place to help you fundraise at their establishment. Be a guest bartender? A guest griller? Or hand out coupons to their establishment for a percentage of profits for that evening.
- Get Fit: Ask your yoga instructor or personal trainer for a donated class. Invite your friends to attend a special yoga/aerobics/step class donated by a trainer. Their admission fee of $20 becomes a donation, and the trainer gets the chance to build their client base. It’s a win-win for all.
- Sponsor me! Set a goal to finish a specific challenge (5k, Tri-Athlon, even a 2 mile walk) and ask people to sponsor you if you complete it. Individuals can pledge any amount that will motivate you, and all donations will be sent to RESOLVE.
- Yard/Bake Sale: Host a neighborhood or community event and donate the proceeds to RESOLVE. Use the event to raise awareness of infertility and share information about RESOLVE. You never know who you might help just by bringing this disease out in public!
- Go Blue: Ask your employer if the company can sponsor you with a Denim Day - employees who donate $10 to RESOLVE can wear jeans to work on a special day.
Launch an Email/letter Campaign
Letter writing and email campaigns are the most effective fundraising methods! Here are some simple steps for making your writing campaign successful.
- Make it personal. People give to people. Share something about yourself, why you are raising money for RESOLVE and how infertility has affected you.
- Include your fundraising goal and ask for a specific dollar amount. (“I am trying to raise $15 from 20 people to reach my goal of $300”)
- Provide facts about infertility – it is a disease that affects 1 in 8 couples - and the important work being done by RESOLVE.
- Tell them RESOLVE is a nonprofit and that donations are tax deductible. Checks should be made payable to RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association. RESOLVE will send donors an acknowledgment of the gift with the tax information.
- Include a link to the RESOLVE online donation page. Your supporters can use the tribute form to make a gift in your honor and RESOLVE will alert you to gifts given in your name.
- Give people a deadline—people are more likely to take action if there is a specific end date.
- Email family members, friends, co-workers and business associates. Be sure to look at your holiday card mailing list, too!
- Remember, the more people you email, the more donations you will raise!
Tips for a Successful Fundraising Campaign
Share your story
Have you ever heard the phrase “people give to people”? What this means is that, for most people, there has to be a personal connection to motivate them to make a donation to a cause. If you can share a part of your story or experience, it will help others understand the real impact of the disease of infertility on women, men and families. If you have never shared your story before, you might be surprised at how others will open up about their own experiences—either their own infertility journey or a loved one’s. Pictures also help personalize your story. Share what you are comfortable with.
Ask for a donation
There are many ways to ask others to support your favorite infertility charity. You can appeal to your personal network of friends, families and colleague for a direct contribution to RESOLVE, or you can host an event that appeals to a wide audience.
Thank your donors
Don’t forget to thank your donors. Personal, handwritten notes show donors how much their support means to you. If you have too many donors and too little time, consider creating a special postcard with a photo and personal message that you can sign and mail. And if all else fails, an email goes a long way in acknowledging that someone participated in a cause you care about. Remember: with your help and theirs, we will change lives!
Tell RESOLVE what you’re doing to recognize National Infertility Awareness Week® in your community and we’ll add it to the list! Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about holding a fundraising event should be sent to Margaret Berardelli at email@example.com.